Wednesday 16 March 2016

Baked Oatmeal Recipe



Breakfast is undoubtedly my favorite meal of the day. I always make it my mission to eat something nutritious that will set me going for the day and this recipe is perfect for that.

This is a recipe I've been meaning to try for ages. After seeing numerous versions of it all through my Instagram feed I decided to look it up and give it a go. I took the basis of the recipe from a blogger called The Healthy Chef, but decided to make it my own by using different fruit and taking on a bit of a lazy guesstimation method HAHA. This recipe was seriously so quick and easy to make. As well as working for a delicious brekky, the crumble-like consistency also makes it a great dessert option in my opinion.



What you'll need:

Oats
Desiccated coconut
Maple Syrup
Cinnamon
Strawberries
Raspberries
Blueberries

For the recipe I took an oven-friendly dish and prepped the oven at about 180 degrees. Next I lined the bottom of the dish with frozen raspberries, blueberries and a handful of strawberries. For the oat crumble I mixed about 200g of oats; 100g of desiccated coconut; a good sprinkling of cinnamon and around two to three tablespoons of maple syrup. Next I just placed the oat mixture on top of the fruit and put the dish into the oven for around 25 minutes. I probably should have left it for a little longer in order for the oats to brown a little but my impatience got the better of me. After this time in the oven the fruit had softened and was warmed through as well as the oats being a little toasted. Having the oatmeal warm served with greek yoghurt is delicious but also just as good cold.

What's good about this recipe is how easy it is to make your own. You can pretty much use whatever fruit you fancy. However, for fruits that are a little harder such as apples, I suggest maybe heating them in the microwave or on the hob for a little before bunging in the oven with the other ingredients. Or if you're a little less impatient than I am just leave the oatmeal in the oven for a longer period of time. You can also use alternatives such as honey for the maple syrup, or if you fancy it a little sweeter or crispier an addition like brown sugar to your oat mix is sure to do the trick. For me this recipe is all about estimating which is what makes it so easy because it's pretty difficult to get wrong. Another great thing is you can make a pretty big batch and it is likely to last you a couple of days in the fridge. This means if you haven't got half an hour to spare in the morning (which let's face it, who does?) you can easily make this the night before, leave to cool then store in the fridge. Savvy baking is the best kind!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!